The Process in a Nutshell
- Apply to Adoption Link
- Meet with an Adoption Link social worker to complete your homestudy (typically, one visit in the family home and one visit at the Adoption Link office)
- Continue to gather all your homestudy documents
- Complete your profile book. This is a book that we use to share with birthparents when they are selecting a family. Make color copies of your book and do not give away your original. Provide Adoption Link with copies of your book. The birthparents keep the book of the family that they select.
- Network on your own. Contact everyone you know that you want to adopt. Tell your pastor, your drycleaner, your best friend, all your friends, etc...
- A birthparent has asked to meet with your family and the meeting goes well. You're matched!
- Your baby is born!
- Placement of the baby occurs after the birthparent(s) have signed the surrender agreement, usually at 72 hours after birth. Adoption Link holds custody until you go to court at 6 months to finalize your adoption.
- Post-Placement Visits: While you are waiting to finalize, your family meets with an Adoption Link social worker monthly.
Waiting Time: Varies greatly. Networking on your own helps tremendously. Based on the previous year, the waiting time has been between 6 and 18 months. Be flexible.
Placements: Average 50-60 per year.