You are here: For Adoptive Parents > The Process in a Nutshell
The Process in a Nutshell
- Apply to Adoption Link.
- Meet with an Adoption Link social worker to complete your homestudy (typically, one visit in the family home and one visit at the Adoption Link office). As part of the Homestudy process Adoption Link connects adoptive applicants to online training as well as reading materials on various topics.
- Continue to gather all your homestudy documents.
- Complete your Adoption Profile. This is the document we will share with birthparents when they are selecting a family. While many prospective adoptive parents try to create their profile using a do-it-yourself photo book, at Adoption Link we ask that you prepare a four-page 8.5 x 11 booklet. We have partnered with a local design firm, Adoption Profiles by Design, to help you create the best (and most affordable) profile possible. Because it is layed out by a professional graphic designer, the booklet generally accommodates every photo and all the text you’d like to include. Booklets are easier for our social workers to carry to birthparents and allow the birthparents to get to know you quickly, but thoroughly. (You may order a 4-page booklet here.) Birthparents will keep the document of the family that they select.
- Network on your own. Contact everyone you know that you want to adopt. Tell your pastor, your drycleaner, your best friend, all your friends – everyone!
- Get matched with a birthparent. A birthparent has asked to meet with your family and the meeting goes well. You’re matched!
- Your baby is born!
- Placement of the baby occurs after the birthparent(s) have signed the surrender agreement, usually at 72 hours after birth. Adoption Link holds custody until you go to court at six months to finalize your adoption.
- Post-Placement Visits: While you are waiting to finalize, your family meets with an Adoption Link social worker monthly.
Waiting Time: Varies greatly. Networking on your own helps tremendously. Based on the previous year, the waiting time has been between 6 and 18 months.
Placements: Adoption Link averages 50 to 60 placements per year.
Adoption Link serves all of Ohio, including Cinncinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Toledo, and Cleveland, and we will travel to you.